Festival Hair Survival Tips
By Donna Jones
I have put together some top tips for managing festival hair that will keep your hair looking fresh and fabulous from start to finish – even if there’s not a shower in sight!
1. The night before, give you hair a good wash and use an intense moisturising conditioner. Use a good primer product when wet like a strong holding mousse and dry into your hair. Tong or set your hair in Velcro rollers so it has movement, volume & shape, the bigger the better you have three or four days for it to settle.
2. Invest in some good old fashioned dry shampoo! This product has made a massive come back so you can pick it up in most salons and supermarkets. I love Tigi Rockaholic Dry Shampoo, a great product that replenishes hair and make it feel fresher. It also adds great texture and builds up some volume at the roots which is ideal when hair gets greasy and ways it down. If you can’t get hold of any then you can use Talcum Powder. Just sprinkle a bit in at the roots and rub in. Be careful not to use too much!
3. This year’s catwalk trends for messy buns and braids are all do-able. Plaits at any festival have always been a total must. Perfect for getting hair off your face, this is a great look that actually works better when hair isn’t squeaky clean and can last for days. If your hair is short you can try just braiding your fringe. Get practising those braids!
For you girlies with long hair, a messy bun is bang on trend and is so easy to replicate. All you need is a comb some Kirby grips, and a hair doughnut. Comb hair back into a high ponytail. Thread your ponytail through the middle of the doughnut. Find the centre of your ponytail that is pulled through the doughnut, and give it a little back comb then wrap sections of hair over to cover the sponge. You will find it naturally tucks in under the bun, so just keep working your way round making sure that the sponge is fully covered. Finally Use Kirby grips to secure the hair wrapped underneath the bun.
4. Why not try the three day old hair and beachy waves look for the festival season? This is the one look that just oozes the festival vibe. To capture this easy, relaxed look try misting Tigi Catwalk Session Salt Spray on to damp hair, finger through to separate and let hair dry naturally. Don’t be afraid to spray liberally here, the more the better!
5. For those moments when the dry shampoo just won’t kick it, take note from the celebs and wear a hat. Not only will it protect you from the sun’s rays, you will be able to keep unruly festival hair under wraps whilst looking seriously chic. Nothing adds an extra spring/summer twist to your hairstyle like a pretty hair accessory. The catwalks were once again awash with wearable ideas for adding an extra wow-factor to your look. Bows, headbands and flowers will add festival glamour to any style. Try a printed head scarf with a swept up bun for a retro twist.
Mostly remember, have fun with your hair- it’s a great accessory!